22 May 2011

So, about that BBQ...

I'm back. As my time abroad will be coming to an end in about three days, I can now shift focus from the paraphrasing of my life and posting travel pictures and return to skating and YA lit. To make a nice, graceful transition (going from working in France and returning to my quote of the day series), I give to you a quote from one of my French high school students.

Assignment: write a phone dialogue between two friends where one calls up the other to say that the first one won't be able to make it to a planned barbecue.

What was turned in: 'Hello, you don't want to eat a barbecue, goodbye.'

One of those lovely teaching moments where all you want to do is start laughing. Aside from the whole lack of a dialogue thing, how does the person talking know that the other person doesn't want to eat a barbecue? Or is the person answering the phone being uninvited? For that matter, how does one eat a barbecue? Are they planning on devouring the entire party, or perhaps just the grill?

This is what happens when students have English first thing on a Monday morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment