27 March 2010

What on earth is a burnt orange life?

Recently I was chatting with some friends, and one said, "I recently had a conversation about you and burnt orange."
"And what was the conclusion?"
"That you can wear it."
I wear a lot of burnt orange, and I frequently lament the lack of burnt orange clothing out in the world (the above friend says this is because no one else can wear it). So when the time came for me to start a blog, I decided to combine my love of anything French with my love of burnt orange in creating a title.

Since I am English major and a writing tutor, I know that introductions should tell the reader what one is going to discuss. So, reader, here are some things that are going to be in this burnt orange life:

1) A lot of Young Adult Lit discussions (or any literature discussions, really). I love YA Lit. I love giving my opinion about books, especially since I'm no longer taking any literature classes. I love literary criticism. I really really really love writing pieces of literary criticism about YA Lit.
2) My thoughts on the figure skating world. I'm a bit of a figure skating nerd. Just a bit of one.
3) Quotes from those learning how to figure skate. I collect them and will someday publish a book of all the best ones, but for now you can read them without having to purchase the book!
4) Stories that might have anything to do with French or Francophone culture. Said stories will possibly be presented mockingly, but I mock the French only because I love them. Also because they mock me right back.
5) Linguistics ponderings. I go back and forth deciding whether or not I want to get a PhD in Linguistics, but until I decide to go for it, all the topics I would be doing research on will instead be analyzed here.
6) Any successful obtentions* of burnt orange clothing.

So that's the plan. However, as I know from writing several hundred papers over the course of my life, I do not always stick to the plan from the introduction. Anything could happen!

*The word obtention is in the OED (more on the OED later), so as far as I'm concerned, it's a word. I was a bit disappointed, since I thought I'd made the word up, but at least I can cite the OED if someone tries to tell me that it isn't a word.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited you have a blog! I will add you to my reader. Also I love how "burnt orange" sounds so much better in French, like a mash-up between creme brulee and a dreamsicle or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will give you comments to use as long as this book can be considered my "back up plan" as well. "Are there fish under the ice?"
    "No silly, there are sharks!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, I will share half the proceeds of this as-yet nonexistent book with you. Just don't tell any of the other coaches, because we have to make sure we make enough money to pay for a new pair of skates for each of us. Or at least to pay for some food.

    ReplyDelete